April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month. Always April, a national partnership of oral surgery practices across the country, strives to bring oral cancer awareness into a year-round discussion. At Oral Surgery Specialists of Oklahoma, we know the importance of early detection, and we actively look for signs of oral cancer during patient visits.
- Oral cancer is rising in low-risk groups.
- Oral cancer kills about as many Americans as melanoma and twice as many as cervical cancer.
- Oral cancer is rising in women, young people, and non-smokers.
- At least 25% of oral cancer victims have no known risk factors.
- Oral cancer is a global challenge, with more than 657,000 cases and nearly 330,000 deaths each year.